If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Wednesday, February 15, 2023

"Writing and reading are the two most civilised things you can do."

 

And after reading any one of Paul Theroux's many books, you can add travelling. At my age, I'm more of a mental traveller, and Paul Theroux's books help me to escape the everyday monotony to return to places I've been to in an earlier life, or to other places I've never been to before.

In the above video clip, the lady-moderator briefly mentions Saint Jack which to me is all about the Singapore I used to know when I lived and worked in Burma and visited Singapore in 1975. It is one of Theroux's novel that was made into a wonderful movie, so even if you don't share my passion for reading, you will enjoy this full-length movie on YouTube:

 

 

Afterwards, you may even be tempted to read the whole book online at www.archive.org. As for me, I've just started re-reading Paul's "Dark Star Safari" which I brought back from town. I had already read the book but then given away to someone I thought would enjoy it as much as I had.

 

 

Talk to you again when I get to Cape Town! (which, I'm sure, has greatly changed since I briefly lived - and almost settled - there in early 1969)

Sitting it out in Cape Town, waiting for my passage back to Australia

On the balcony of the boarding-house in Cape Town


Googlemap Riverbend