If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Thursday, December 6, 2018

In search for meaninglessness


Leo Umundum (aka Leo the Hun)

 

Alan Lucas, in his "Cruising the Coral Coast", described the situation on Thursday Island in 1980 in these words:

"Thursday Island has degenerated over the years from one of the world's most romantic pearling ports to something of a 'dole office' for Torres Strait Islanders and nearby mainland Aborigines. Littering, drunkenness and a total lack of self-respect appear to be the main sports and the administration does not give the impression of conquering the island's ills. As one who has known T.I. since the early 1960s and who has watched it go steadily downhill I can only lament its demise and admit that there is little there to interest the visitor."

True but he could have said the same of many of the 'whiteys' inhabiting the Torres Strait. I had my once-in-a-career chance to join them and succumb to the lure of this remote and soporific island when I worked as accountant for Thursday Island's Island Industries Board in 1977.

However, I wasn't ready yet to become either an alcoholic or a philosopher in search for the meaninglessness of the human existence and so moved on to bigger and better things. Nonetheless, the island kept me under its spell and I returned in April 2005 - see my travelogue - to find out what I might've missed out on.

Not much, I realised, when I entered the Grand Hotel and met the New Zealander Gary Duff, and Tony, on T.I. since 1959 but originally from Lausanne in Switzerland, and Henry the Dane, a mackerel fisherman. Tony was retired and only drank double gins with just a hint of tonic. The "indescribable intoxication" the famous island-lover Lawrence Durrell had experienced at finding himself in "a little world surrounded by the sea" was clearly not enough for Tony. He seemed coy about the sort of work he'd done on T.I. but it could be assumed that the only job he ever had done really well and with total dedication was drinking.

(In later years, I read about Tony in "Steady Steady: The Life and Music of Seaman Dan": "My engineer [at the time], Tony Tardent, an ex-croc shooter in the Northern Territory, [and I] were working the Darnley Deeps. [It was] spring tide so you can't anchor out at the work area, it is too deep, 30 fathoms. So we [would] always run in to Darnley [Erub] and anchor there. When it is work time, nobody goes ashore, everybody stays on board. When it is the spring tide you can go ashore. So this particular weekend, Saturday after work we race in ... and we are invited to go to this school dance. Tony is a white boy and I introduce him to my cousin, Wasie [née Kiwat], and they got on famously together. This was 1963. [Then] we signed off, got paid and finished [for the season]. The next thing I hear they both got married and they are still together today! [Click here])

I knew Gary, the cray fisherman, from my time on T.I. in 1977 when he had been married to Dang, a Thai girl, who now lived in Cairns. Gary, now 60, was remarried, again to a Thai girl, and was still diving for crays and drinking. He was said to keep his crew awake at night when he rolled over in bed, such was the noise the $100-notes made under the mattress. Not much of a life by his own admission and he seemed to envy me my thirty freewheeling years through over a dozen countries while he had done little more than enrich the local publicans.

Leo Umundum (aka Leo the Hun), an Austrian, soon joined us. Leo had come to T.I. in 1960. He lived in some style on neighbouring Friday Island in a shack with ocean views which he had built himself on land which he had never bought, sired some children with local women, and came across to Thursday Island once a fortnight to collect his dole cheque and convert it into urine. He continued to live on Friday Island with a bunch of other latter-day beachcombers who'd been on the dole for so long, they'd forgotten what kind of work they were out of.

I had always thought he'd one day be knighted for his services to the Australian brewing industry and live out his days as Sir Osis of the Liver, until I received this email from another T.I. identity a few days ago:

"Went to the Cooktown RSL earlier on where an old mate told me that Friday Island Leo had topped himself some time ago. I rang another friend to verify the story and she said that Leo had been diagnosed with advanced cancer, so he grabbed his gun and the rest is history!"

Andy Warhol once said, ""In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes."
Even never-working Leo the Hun got his one minute's worth.

 

Welcome to the T.I. pantheon, Leo the Hun, alongside such luminaries as German Harry, French Joe, Louis the Greek, Gösta Brand, and many others who in death have become larger than during their wasted lives.

And this is the way the story ends - to paraphrase T.S. Eliot - "Not with a whimper but a bang."


www.tiny.cc/riverbendmap

P.S.
According to the National Archives of Australia, Leonhard UMUNDUM, born 1 July 1940, Austrian, travelled per ship SYDNEY, departing in 1960 under the Assisted Passage Scheme. And the assistance didn't stop there.

P.P.S. According to a facebook entry by Hans Hartner - click here -, Leo Umundum died on 29 July 2019. He also posted this photo taken on one of Leo's apparently annual visits to his hometown Fohnsdorf in Austria.