If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Bran nue dae



Ever since my days on Thursday Island, I have had a love affair with Broome which, with Thursday Island, was Australia's pearling centre. One day I may even visit it!

In the meantime, I am going to watch the movie Bran Nue Dae, which is the story of a young man who, in the late 60s, lives the life of the idyllic old pearling port Broome - fishing, hanging out with his mates and his girl. However his mother returns him to the religious mission for further schooling. After being punished for an act of youthful rebellion, he runs away from the mission on a journey that ultimately leads him back home.

A cracking good yarn and some beautiful photography! As for the soundtrack - WOW!!!

…I feel like going back home
Right now while the mangoes are ripe
Frangipani starting to bloom
And the bluebone starting to bite
Hey mum I can just taste your fish soup and rice
I'm coming back home to you
Can't hack the pace of this city life
Sooner be dreaming in Broome…


And here are some more images of Broome:



Sooner be dreaming in Broome!