If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Ahoy there me hearties ...

Home is the Sailor Home from the Sea

... and a very "Good Morning" from the ocean waves - well, would you believe river ripples? - where I had slept aboard the good ship LADY ANNE in commemoration of the fifth anniversary since I bought her!

With the hatchcover open, listening to the fish jumping and gazing up at the stars, I quickly fell asleep. I slept like a sailor and dreamt of tropical islands and coral seas as the River Clyde flowed quietly on.

I was woken up by insistent ringing of the cordless phone which reminded me that it was 6 o'clock in the morning and I was still moored only 20 metres offshore from "Riverbend" where a cooked breakfast and a hot shower were waiting for me.

There was time enough though to still make myself a cup of tea on the boat's little metho stove (if I ever run out of tea, I can always drink the metho!) and to make everything ship-shape again.

As the Water Rat said to the Mole, "There is nothing -- absolute NOTHING -- half so much worth doing as simply messing-about in boats or with boats, in or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do" (from Kenneth Grahame's "The Wind in the Willows")