If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Shake up the boys in Canberra

 

I worked all my life and paid taxes all my life. I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization. Or, as one U.S. President once remarked, “Taxes are dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society.”

And I appreciate that those taxes do not give me an automatic entitlement to an old-age pension. That would be welfare which is paid to those who were too busy pissing it against the wall to provide for their own retirement. Instead, I, together with over 1 million other Australians, provided for my own retirement by following the Government's advice to run my own Self-Managed Super Fund (SMSF).

Now this same Government wants to 'reform' (code for 'reduce') the tax concessions governing SMSFs. If you run your own SMSF, tell them to bugger off! Don't expect anyone else to do this work for you. There are enough SMSFs in Australia to change the outcome of an election. We need to use our collective muscle to tell those in power that we have worked for our retirement and provided for it with our own money and want certainty and stability for our hard-earned retirement savings.

Write to them all but bear in mind who you're dealing with - so keep it short and simple! "Keep your grubby hands off my SMSF!" would be simple enough; "Keep your [add powerful expletive] grubby hands off my SM [add an even more powerful expletive] SF!!!!!" would be even better:

1. Prime Minister

2. Opposition Leader

3. Treasurer

4. Assistant Treasurer (change drop-down box to 'Frydenberg')

5. Shadow Treasurer

6. Your local Federal member - search for them on the internet