If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Sunday, October 11, 2026

Sofa so good!

 

 

I shall be forever grateful to that unkown person who donated that small book of essays, "The Art of Hunger", for me to find in my local op-shop. The title of the book had attracted me since I've known all about hunger, and even though I no longer suffer physical hunger, my hunger for knowledge has yet to be stilled.

Since then I have read all of Paul Auster's books, and keep re-reading them when I am in a contemplative mood. This afternoon, as I stretched out on the old sofa on the sunlit verandh, I listened to the above eight-year-old interview, which now sounds rather prophetic because Paul Auster died in April 2024, and there will be no more books and no more movie adaptations such as "Smoke" and "Lulu on the Bridge".

 

Paul Auster's reading starts at 08:00
Read the book online at www.archive.org

 

Closing my eyes, I then listened to Paul Auster reading thirteen short stories from his book "The Red Notebook" (turn to pages 340-379 in the above online book), before I fell into a deep and relaxing sleep.

It's been a good end to a peaceful weekend. Sofa so good!

 


Googlemap Riverbend