If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Travelling North



I have always considered my return to the Deep South as temporary: when I came down to Sydney in 1985, I was always going to leave again for the tropical north; instead, I went to Canberra. Then I was going to leave Canberra again for the tropical north; instead, I retired to Nelligen. Twenty-five years after my 'temporary' return to the Deep South I am still 'temporarily' down here and still hope to leave again one day for the tropical north.

In the meantime, I enjoy watching my favourite movie "Travelling North", in which Frank (played by Leo McKern) retires with his ladyfriend to the distant tropical paradise of Port Douglas, where he only wants to meet the fish at the end of his hook. But Frank's road to paradise is paved with potholes in the form of new neighbours, old family ties, and a doctor's sad diagnosis.

This thoroughly enjoyable movie is based on a play by David Williamson who also wrote "Don's Party", "The Removalists", "The Club", "Emerald City", and others.