If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Dirty deeds over dirty heads

Quartet

Trio

Encore

I'm a fan of Somerset W. Maugham's Short Stories. In the 1950s, Gainsborough Pictures produced the three films QUARTET, TRIO, and ENCORE from his short stories THE FACTS OF LIFE, THE ALIEN CORN, THE KITE, THE COLONEL'S LADY, THE VERGER, MR. KNOWALL, SANITORIUM, THE ANT AND THE GRASSHOPPER, WINTER CRUISE, and GIGOLO AND GIGOLETTE. They're a treat to watch!

I have them all on video tape and made archival copies onto DVD when my recently acquired LG RC689D DVD Recorder / VCR Player Combo began to show 'snowy' images. I suspected dirty heads but not quite so soon. When I phoned LG's excellent support line, they suggested I contact their local repairers L & S TV & Video Service in Ulladulla.

L & S TV & Video Service also suggested dirty heads but warned me not to use a commercial video cleaning kit as this would void the warranty. Instead, they asked me to bring it in and they would clean it for me but as such service was not covered by the warranty, it would cost me $66. CATCH 22: if I clean the heads myself, I void the warranty; if I have them cleaned by them, it's not covered by the warranty.

Like the good chap I am, I took the recorder/player to them and had it cleaned and paid $66. I would have left it at that except that the image is still turning 'snowy' at times. Would I be up for $66 every time it needed a clean-up? So I emailed LG's support centre to ask if it was true that I cannot use an ordinary video cleaning kit during the warranty period without voiding the warranty cover.

Here is their reply: "Using a head/lens cleaner in your DVD player does not void your warranty. LG recommends the use of a head/lens cleaner before taking the unit into a service centre for any sort of repair. If you feel that you have been mislead by the service centre please contact the service centre and ask to speak to a manager."

I shall speak with the manager after this the long Queen's Birthday weekend is over. Stay tuned!