If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Remember those "They went to ... and all they brought me back was this lousy T-shirt" T-shirts?

MCMAHON'S POINT REAL ESTATE
14 Blues Pt Rd McMahons Point
www.mmpre.com.au

 

This pen is the equivalent of one of those lousy t-shirts which I brought back from my short trip to Sydney. It was given to me by the new agent who I hope will do a better job looking after my little "hole-in-the-wall" unit than the previous ones.

 

My home-made sketch of the approximate lay-out and measurements

 

I had bought the unit just after I had come back to Australia in 1985 and scored the highly-paid appointment of 'Internal Consultant' with Wormald International, which required me to be 'on the road' - or rather 'in the air' as Wormald's operations were spread all over the world - for nine months of the year. After the first rush of adrenalin had passed, I remembered that I had just given up a far more highly-paid overseas job with far greater perks in order to live a 'normal' domesticated life.

I promptly resigned and moved to Canberra where I had taken my first tentative steps as a young migrant twenty years earlier. There I wrote computer software in the PICK language for a large mailorder business for the next twelve months. Then, as personal computers made their presence felt, I started by own business Canberra Computer Accounting Systems, selling and supporting PC-based computerised accounting systems, both off-the-shelf packages and custom-written solutions.

 

 

The little "hole-in-the-wall" unit in Sydney is all that's left from those early days of resettling in Australia, and it has been a good "renter", never vacant for more than a few days in between changing tenants, until it fell into the hands of an incompetent agent who left it empty for three months. The next agent kept "managing" it on an easy-going far-below-market-value rent for so long that I eventually had to insist on a rent review which he promptly carried out: $20 a week more! That was still some 25% below the rents on similar properties in the area!

 

I "stole" this from another real estate listing. My little "hole-in-the-wall" unit is under the red-tiled roof to the left of that multi-storeyed white building to the right of the circle

As the listing says, "... located close to the heart of the McMahons Point village offering all the delights of a Harbourside locale with trendy cafes and restaurants, parks and reserves ..."



... and only a short walk to trains and ferries and the North Sydney CBD."

 

Being no longer a German I didn't start another war; instead, I smiled through gritted teeth, shook their hands and said "Thank you for your services" - leaving out the appropriate expletive - and went shopping for a better agency. And I think I have found it: McMahons Point Real Estate.

 

 

Before I had even left Sydney, the new listing was already up, with the first "Open for Inspection" set for this coming Saturday. Let's see what they come up with. It couldn't be much worse than the previous agent!

 

 

If realestate.com.au can be believed, there are 322 people looking for a one-bedroom unit in McMahons Point. Just one of them will do me!


Googlemap Riverbend