If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Manfred Richter in Brisbane



Arrived in Brisbane and met up with my old friend Manfred. He picked me up early this morning from Roma Street railway station in his old TOYOTA and kindly offered me a range of conveyances - see picture - to get me around Brisbane.

I've checked in for the night at the Acacia Ridge Hotel which is close to Manfred's home.

Manfred is batching as his wife Tisna is in hospital

Ian, the retired schoolteacherThe train trip from Sydney to Brisbane was a treat. At first it looked like I would have my twinette sleeper compartment to myself but at Strathfield a companion joined me: Ian, a retired school teacher from St. Ives, who had spent half a lifetime in tiny schools out west, including Walgett. He was good company and we talked until late into the night about the woes of the world. I wanted to ask him if he had seen a certain Aussie movie which starred a young schoolteacher who had been posted to the fictious town of Tiboonda way, way out west. He knew it but neither of us could remember its name until Ian came back from the 'loo at three in the morning and said, Wake in Fright. Yes, of course!

Ian, you weren't the busty blonde I had been hoping for but you were good company!