If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My Winter of Discontent

 

Forget about Shakespeare; forget about Steinbeck; I have my very own winter of discontent. And I have it every year around this time when I look out the window and ask myself, "What am I doing here?"

I still remember my late friend Noel Butler who, after a lifetime spent in New Guinea, struggled to make himself at home again in Australia, first at Caboolture, then at Mt Perry, and finally at Childers. He never quite succeeded since, as he put it, "my spiritual home will always be New Guinea".

Where is my spiritual home after half a lifetime in more than a dozen different countries? "Über den Himmel Wolken ziehen, über die Felder geht der Wind, ... Irgendwo über den Bergen muss meine ferne Heimat sein." Hermann Hesse