If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Monday, April 13, 2020

Miss Ulysses from Puka-Puka

PACIFIC ISLANDS MONTHLY October 1948

 

Deprived of my usual op-shopping during this corona-virus lockdown, I've been giving my ebay-account a good workout. My latest acquisition is "Miss Ulysses from Puka-Puka", written by Florence (Johnny) Frisbie, the daughter of Robert Dean Frisbie who gave us the unforgettable "The Book of Puka-Puka" who wrote:

I've just spent a couple of hours lying on the old, slept-on sofa on the sunlit verandah --- every house should have a verandah, with an old, slept-on sofa on it and an old 'wireless' next to it, permanently tuned to Radio National --- , dipping in and out of my hardcopy of this book, and reflecting on what might have been had I, back in 1969, accepted the position of 'book-keeper' with another South Sea trader, the late Tom Hepworth. He described to me in vivid colours the sort of life I'd lead if I were to join him and his family on equally remote Pigeon Island. He wouldn't be able to pay me much, as he put it, but neither would I need much money and I would have plenty of time to pursue my own interests and continue my accountancy studies. Click here for more.

 

 

All of which got me in the mood of lashing out on "Miss Ulysses from Puka-Puka" which, at a touch over $40, isn't cheap but certainly worth its price. And it's worth the long wait for the parcel to arrive while every-thing is in lockdown during this seemingly endless coronavirus plague.

Plenty of time to watch these video clips and do some more reading.


Googlemap Riverbend