If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Friday, August 12, 2022

Looking for an ethnic slur in the woodpile

 

Couldn't find one but in the process got much of it nicely stacked away and ready for next winter. It was a productive day yesterday, if splitting wood from two giant gum trees can be called productive. I call it bloody exhausting and so I rewarded myself with a day off in town today, lunching at our favourite Thai restaurant and buying a few more books at my favourite op-shop.

So what are the books, I hear you ask? "Venice - Pure City" by Peter Ackroyd, a sumptious hardcover edition; Philip Roth's "Portnoy's Complaint", an old one but good one; "The Irrawaddy", a novel by some unknown author, Peter Browne, but anything to do with Burma is irresistible to me; a slim volume of selected poems of Tennyson ("Into the valley of Death rode the six hundred" and all that); and "More Book Lust" by Nancy Pearl which, as I've just now discovered, is a sequel to "Book Lust", so I'm searching for that one as well on ebay. *)

Speaking of which, my ebay order of "Islands - From Atlantis to Zanzibar" has also arrived in the post. Eighteen dollars worth of escapism.


Googlemap Riverbend

 

P.S. Nothing on ebay, but Book Depository have it for $29.60 - click here, and www.archive.org have "Book Lust To Go - Recommended reading for travelers, vagabonds, and dreamers" for online reading - click here.