If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Thursday, June 30, 2022

The School of Life

 

There is no more ridiculed literary genre than the self-help book. These titles may sometimes sell well, but they are never taken seriously usually, for very good reasons. Admit that you regularly turn to such books to help you cope with existence and you are liable to attract the scorn and suspicion of all who aspire to look well educated and well read."

So wrote Alain de Botton in his introduction to Volume 1 of his "School of Life", a redesigned and rehabilitated self-help book which, as first in a series of reborn self-help books, explores life's big questions such as How can we fulfil our potential? Can work be inspiring? Why does community matter? Can relationships last a lifetime?

Alain de Botton has written many books, and I have a copy of each one of them in my library, some half-read, others I've read several times. Then there are his DVDs which I've watched several times. You may find some of his books on archive.org and some of his DVDs on YouTube.

I haven't yet bought any of Alain's School of Life books, not because I think I'm too old to learn but because I'm running out of life. Anyway, two are on the internet: "Volume 1", with such chapters as "How to think more about sex" (what, more?) and "How to worry less about money" (I don't!), while "How to change the World" I've already tried and failed.


Googlemap Riverbend