If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Monday, June 13, 2022

I was looking for Julian Barnes and finished up with Jonathan Barnes

 

Having read Julian Barnes' "Nothing to be Frightened of", I wanted more and googled for more. What I finished up with was Jonathan Barnes: same last name, same subject, almost the same age, but a different first name. After all, they're brother and that's as good a way as any of telling them apart.

Jonathan Barnes is an Aristotelian scholar. That great man Aristotle is supposed to have said, "Brothers are equal in all things, apart from age". While this seems neither memorable nor particularly true, in the case of Jonathan and Julian Barnes he might have been right, despite their mother having been heard to complain, "I have two sons. One of the writes books I can read but can't understand, and the other writes books I can understand but can't read."

I continue to read Julian Barnes' books as well as listen to both of them.

 

For a truly cerebral experience listen to Clive James' "Talking in the Library" series

 


Googlemap Riverbend