If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Friday, July 7, 2023

Early morning and a long wait and a long day

 

We were all charged up to go to the pool at first light but the car battery wasn't. After a long wait, the NRMA patrolman came and installed a new one, and we were off: first to God's wading pool which by this time was full of noisy kids, then to pick up two eagerly-awaited book parcels from the post office, followed by some shopping - Padma at ALDI and I at Vinnies - before we sat down for a Chinese lunch at the Soldiers Club.

 

 

One of the books, "Michael McGirr's "Books that Saved My Life", had been signed by the author himself, "To Henry, with appreciation, Michael, Christmas 2018". In New South Wales it would cost me $185 to change my name by deed poll to Henry. I think I stick with (Manfred-)Peter.

 

 

Walking down Orient Street I saw this now historic MORRIS van which brought back memories - at my age, almost everything brings back memories! - to my first two years in Australia when I lived in Barton House in Canberra where another boarder drove such a van, in red, for TIP TOP Bakeries. Remember "Good on ya Mum, Tip Top's the one"?

 

 

He must've felt a bit lonely in his little red van because he invited me to accompany him on his rounds delivering bread from door to door. I saw a lot of Canberra, smelt a lot of bread, met a lot of People, and learnt a lot more English which then eventually put butter on my own bread.

It's been a long day and I'm now inches away from the blazing fireside, dipping into "Books that Saved My Life". Three others which I also picked up at Vinnies - Noam Chomsky's "What Kind of Creatures Are We?"; Peter Schneider's "The Wall Jumper"; and the 1947 classic by Colin McPhee, "A House in Bali", will have to wait until the weekend. A new car will also have to wait: the old FORD FOCUS is running well with the new battery.


Googlemap Riverbend