If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

47 reasons not to tell


It was Padma's birthday yesterday - she doesn't want me to tell anyone how old she is now; I guess she has her reasons: 47 of them! - so we had a whole day and an evening away from "Riverbend".

First came our aqua-therapy at the Ulladulla Leisure Centre, followed by a poolside lunch. It was a picture-perfect sunny day although the receptacle at the entrance marked 'Umbrella's only' was a reminder of the rain we've had in the last couple of weeks. "Umbrella's only WHAT?", I asked the girl behind the counter but received no apostrophic answer.

Across the carpark is Mullala Nursery which is more than just good business: it is an Australian Disability Enterprise employing a dozen or so disabled youngsters. We always buy some plants from them. It's better than charity and sets an example to many other Australians who are able-bodied but workshy.

We bought several Swamp Lilies, China Girls, and Tibouchina Alstonville. I asked Dave, the manager, what kind of hormone gel he uses to strike his cuttings. "ESI-ROOT", he said, "You can buy it at Bunnings."

So we went to Bunnings where I asked the check-out chick, "Can I get some ESI-ROOT here?" I nearly caused a riot! Anyway, they didn't have it so we ended up spending several hundred dollars on a new set of outdoor tables, chairs, and benches instead. ESI-ROOT, easy go!

Dinner at the club was a treat with king prawns and barramundi and blueberry-and-almond tart and a bottle of champers. I had to drink it all by myself as just a sniff of it got Padma all hot and bothered. By the time I had finished the bottle, nothing bothered me!