If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Thursday, December 5, 2013

A washroom fit for the Queen Victoria Building

(part of my Sydney trip 1st - 3rd December 2013;
stay tuned for more)

 

Travelling without a mobile phone or any other electronic tracking device, the only calls I had to answer were those by Mother Nature. She called me just as I was walking through one of Sydney's most prestigious shopping malls, the Queen Victoria Building.

Having answered, I stood in the washroom scratching my head with my unwashed hand:   no bowls, no taps!   Just then the dark-skinned janitor walked in and with great professional pride worked his "black magic": move the hand under the faucet and the water flows; move the hand away and the water stops.

I told him I was from the country where we had no such fancy plumbing; he told me he was from Bangladesh where they had no plumbing at all. I offered him my by this time washed hand and praised him for the work he was doing.

Perhaps I should have taken a photo of his big from-ear-to-ear smile as I left. Instead, I took one of this 'Puppy Cake' on display in a cake shop at Town Hall Station. It reminded me of Rover and of home.

I would have bought it but the outside temperature was in the 30s and home still more than 24 hours away during which time the 'Puppy Cake' would have grown into a 'Hot Dog'.