If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

It's been a hard day's night and I've been sleeping with the dogs

 

I must admit I am not the most sociable person and I don't entertain much. In fact, the only people we ‘have over’ are the postman, the garbage collector and the meter reader. For the rest of the time, the front gate is firmly locked.

However, last night we had some good friends over for a quiet Mr-Bean Night, not so much to drink in the new year but to drink out the old.

It was very low-key which suited at least one guest who commented next day, "Thank you both so much for a wonderful New Year's Eve party, one of the best: good company, good conversation, plenty of laughs and home by 11.30! No slobbering kisses from sleazy strangers or husbands of friends ready to have one last squeeze before they embark on another year of marital bliss (?), or anti-climatic fire crackers and that horrid Auld Lang thingy...".

Phew! Just as well I had left my button accordion in the cupboard despite having practised all week to squeeze out Auld Lang Syne!

It's now 7 o'clock on the morning-after and I've just opened my left eye to look out on the river to see what sort of day it is. Brilliant sunshine! What a great start to a new day and a new year!

As soon as I've opened the other eye and woken up the dogs, the new year can begin. Let's see what it has in store for us! All I know about the future is that it will be different. "Everything will be alright in the end. So if it's not alright, it is not yet the end."