If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Going through a phase

 

As I sat here reading a book, the radio suddenly went dead. Bummer! A power failure! But no, the ceiling lights still worked when I switched them on. Bummer! A burnt-out fuse! But no, all the fuses were okay and yet, no power on some power points - and yet, others were working!- and the workshop, the library, and the guest cottage had no power at all.

More than a year ago, I had taken the trouble of figuring out how the wiring in this house worked and which fuse was for which and drawn up a comprehensive diagram - see here - none of which helped me now. Time to call Batemans Bay's best electrician.

"Hello, Dave, I seem to have some problems with my fuses. They all look okay but there's no power on some on them."

"Are you on three-phase?"

"What's three phase?"

"Look inside your meter box. Do you have three meters in there?"

Walking to the meter box... "Yes."

"Are the wheels of all three meters spinning?"

Looking... "One is spinning. Two are not."

"Well, then it has nothing to do with your fuses. You have a power interruption on two of your three-phase supply. Phone your energy supplier."

"Thanks, Dave. I owe you one."

And so I rang the energy supplier and, yes, there was a supply interruption and, yes, they were working on it.

We never stop learning, do we? And this lesson didn't cost me a thing. Not even the call-out fee for an electrician who was honest enough to help me over the phone.