If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Sunday, June 20, 2021

Am grünen Strand der Spree

 

Am grünen Strand der Spree (On the Green Beach of the Spree) was a five-part German television movie which first aired in 1960. It was based on a novel by Hans Scholz. The story takes place in postwar Berlin, divided into zones of occupation. Five friends meet and share their experiences during World War II.

 

 

The television program has been called a "Straßenfeger" in German because it was watched by so many that the streets (Straßen) were empty (gefegt, swept clean). I had never heard of it and had never seen it because a "Fernseher" (a television set) was a luxury that came late to my parents' home. Anyway, by the early 1960s I had already left home and was fending for myself in rented rooms and had not even a radio.

Thanks to YouTube, I am catching up now. I've also ordered the book.


Googlemap Riverbend