If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Monday, June 28, 2021

A good day's work

 

I am not always reading! Some days I'm busy building myself a new reading nook. This one will have a huge sliding door 2.20m wide and 2.4 high which looks out to the river towards the setting sun.

The wallframes are up. I already have a sliding door which I got cheap for $450. Tomorrow I'll go shopping for seven 4m-long 140x45mm roof joists, eighteen 1200x600x7mm Red Oak plywood sheets for the ceiling, and 90x35mm battens to go on top of it all to hold the corrugated iron.

Then I take final measurements before placing orders for the corrugated roof and the outside wall cladding, and think about the internal fit-out. Which will be, you guessed it, inbuilt bookshelves on all three sides surrounding a sofa long enough to lie on and a comfortable armchair.

Then I just put up the sign and draw the curtains to be in another world.

 

Des, do you remember the day we went shopping in Jeddah's Marhaba Shopping Centre? It was just on prayer time and a shopkeeper was about to put up this sign. I asked him where I could get one like it as a keepsake of my time in Saudi Arabia. In typical Middle Eastern fashion, he immediately proffered it to me as a present. I have maintained this custom to this day: ask me for my opinion and I immediately give it to you completely free of charge.

 


Googlemap Riverbend