If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Friday, June 25, 2021

A quick eye test before we hit the road

 

We drove to Batemans Bay nice and early today so we could do our shopping and also enjoy a leisurely lunch at our favourite Thai restaurant. Before we left, I did my usual eye test which, not surprisingly, confirmed my suspicion: I need more books!

At Vinnies I found "The Spirit of Kokoda - Then and Now" and "The Unbearable Lightness of Being", and the Salvos supplied me with "The Lost Ships of Guadalcanal - Exploring the Ghost Fleet of the South Pacific", John Douglas Pringle's "On Second Thoughts" (a sequel to his best-selling "Australian Accent"), and "The Well at the World's End" from the author of "The Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow" at the latter.

I had walked the Kokoda Track in my younger days back in the early 70s (I certainly couldn't do it now!), so reading up on its wartime history should be interesting; I close my eyes when I put my head under water and never dived Iron Bottom Sound when I lived and worked in Honiara on Guadalcanal in 1973, so "The Lost Ships of Guadalcanal" should be a real eye-opener (pun intended!); and, having very much enjoyed "The Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow", I can't wait to follow A.J. (Sandy) Mackinnon's footsteps to the Well at the World's End whose waters hold the secret to eternal youth. And, not wanting to judge a book by its movie which I watched and couldn't get my head around - see clip - I look forward to Milan Kundera's "The Unbearable Lightness of Being".

I don't think I'll need my eyes tested again for at least a week!


Googlemap Riverbend