If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Ich denke oft an Piroschka

Click on Watch on YouTube to watch the full-length movie

 

The tendency to look back contemplatively on one's life as one gets nearer to the end of it is a natural human instinct which I indulged in last night as I sat up late to watch the old German movie "Ich denke oft an Piroschka" (I often think of Piroschka). I had last seen it as a boy of 10 or 12 accompanied by my sisters, in a Sunday afternoon movie matinée.

 

 

And how the memories came back! Of my boyhood and youth and of the Piroschkas in my own life and the Hódmezővásárhelykutasipusztas I've been to! (Can I speak Hungarian? No, but I can be silent in several other languages!)


Googlemap Riverbend

 

I don't think Hugo Hartung's book has ever been translated, so unless you speak German (if not, why not?), you may safely ignore the following:

Ich denke oft an Piroschka. Oft höre ich ihre Stimme, nachts: "Kérem, Andi! mach Signal!" und meine, ihre drollige Stirnlocke an meinem Gesicht zu spüren. Aber dann werde ich wach ... Wie es dazu kam --- das freilich kann ich nicht in jedem Traum wiederholen. Es ist eine zu lange Geschichte. Doch einmal muß sie erzählt werden. Inzwischen hat sich ja so viel geändert da unten in Ungarn. Vielleicht hat Piroschka selbst wieder eine Piroschka, die heute so alt ist, wie sie damals gewesen ist. Ich darf es jetzt erzählen - alles! Ganz von Anfang an ... So hat es begonnen: [Lese weiter!]