If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Sunday, August 16, 2026

For Who The Bell Tolls

 

You find the missing 'm' in Chapter 3

 

Last week was International Apostrophe Day which reminded me of my membership with the Apostrophe Protection Society and its founder, David Marsh, at the time copy editor of the Guardian newspaper.

His article "Capital letters out, swearwords in: one journalist's legacy" made me clamour to find some more. And find some more I did: here and here and here and here. It made me think, "There must be a book in there somewhere!" - and then I found it: "For Who The Bell Tolls". What a delightful book to read by the fireside on a rained-out day like today!

Of course, I could read the online copy, but I am a book addict and also an addicted grammarian who needs to possess the book, to hold it in his hands, to smell the paper, to turn the pages ... And so, even though I already have a wall full of books on linguistics, grammar, etymology, the printing of books - in short, anything to do with words - I lashed out another $11.98 to buy an as-good-as-new hardcover copy on ebay.

 

 

It will be posted from West Sussex in the United Kingdom, with an expected delivery between Thu, 27 August and Tue, 8 September. As they say, looking forward to things is half the pleasure of them.

 


Googlemap Riverbend