If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Friday, August 28, 2026

The Travellers

 

 

I suppose it is a bit ironic for someone in ancient Greece to update you on Australian cinema. But then again, we've had a few thousand years of headstart while your folks were still hanging out in the trees, followed by a sudden influx of convicts. Consider this a little cultural exchange from the cradle of civilization!"

Thus wrote my old friend and fellow-worker in Greece, Bozenna, after she had watched the Australian film "The Travellers", which hasn't even been released in Australia yet. It tells the story of Stephen Seary (Luke Bracey), a successful set designer who returns from Europe to Western Australia to visit his dying mother one last time. What begins as a short journey turns into a stark confrontation with his stoic, resentful father Fred (Bryan Brown) in a small, traditional town.

As I told Bozenna, any movie with Bryan Brown in it is worth watching. I mean, who could forget him from his appearances in "The Odd Angry Shot", "Breaker Morant", "Stir", "The Shiralee" - especially "The Shiralee" - and dozens more. I must try and watch them all - and certainly Bozenna's latest recommendation, "The Travellers" - even though some of them are now almost fifty years old and quite hard to get hold of.

 

 

"Stir" is one of those old ones, dating back to 1980, of which I could only find this incomplete copy on YouTube. It's still worth watching though.

 


Googlemap Riverbend