If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Wednesday, August 26, 2026

I've just bought my first Kindle book!

 

 

Actually, it's a twenty-page-short essay by Mark Forsyth about bookshops and the delights of not getting what you wanted, which is why I didn't immediately click the   BUY   button when I saw the hardcopy advertised on ebay for $7.

 

 

Instead, I bought it for $1.49 as an online Kindle file which I read online on the read.amazon.com.au/kindle-library, and then tucked it away on my harddisk for later re-reading. There's so much in those twenty pages. Take, for example, the short chapter "The Ghost in the Bookshop":

 

 

What a beautiful description of a perfect bookshop. Perhaps I should've paid the full seven dollars for the hardcopy. After all, I can afford it, as BHP has just now hit an all-time high of $68.77. Mind you, during the twenty minutes it took me to read this essay they eased back to $68, but that's still a 50% increase from the $45.27 at the start of this year.

 


Googlemap Riverbend

 

At my age, Happy Hour is an afternoon nap. While I was asleep, BHP had given up all of today's gains and closed 27 cents down at $67.40. Still, there's always tomorrow. "Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.