If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Musical Memories



Peter Paul & Mary will always remind me of Canberra in the mid-60s. I lived at Barton House and owned all of Peter Paul & Mary's records which I played endlessly on my radiogramme. Remember radiogrammes?



Marianne Faithfull's 'As tears go by' takes me right back to Lüderitz in South West Africa in the late 60s where my flatmate Karl-Heinz played that record night after night.



If it's Neil Diamond and 'Cracklin' Rose' and 'Hot August Night', I'm taken right back to Camp 1 on Bougainville Island in the early 70s where "Bulldog" threw his Neil Diamond parties.



When I listen to Lobo, I live once again in Komin Kuchin Avenue in Rangoon and think of Khin San Myint.



Not much music in Saudi Arabia but 'The Rivers of Babylon' always reminds me of Jeddah ...



... while Stevie Wonder's 'I just called to say I love you' takes me back to my frequent business trips to Singapore.



Needless to say, Nana Mouskouri's 'White Rose of Athens' makes me want to relive my time in Greece ...



... but I now call Australia home.