If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Is Riverbend still for sale?

You have to live somewhere - it may as well be Paradise!


People keep asking me. And here's my answer: YES!

A neighbouring cottage, a converted fishing shack on a mere 1900m² of dirt, has just sold for $950,000. So what should be the price tag on a very substantial double-storey brick residence, plus all the improvements and inclusions, situated on over 7 ACRES of absolute waterfront land?

As stated on my website, I invite offers over $2million! You have to live somewhere - it may as well be somewhere expensive! ☺

According to my insurers' Home Buildings Calculator, the cost to rebuild "Riverbend" 's main residence plus Cottage plus Workshop plus Utility Shed plus plus plus is well in excess of $800,000. Add to this the Land Department's $850,000 for the unimproved land (their valuations are always woefully behind market values), and the 'total package' is already worth $1,650,000.

Why do we do it? Why do we encumber ourselves with possessions? We are born with nothing yet the moment we emerge into the light of day we begin to accumulate things as if the possessing of things was an essential element of human existence. Stuff, and nonsense, and more stuff.

Where are the days when all I owned fitted into what was then known as a portmanteau? A change of clothing, a few toiletries, my trusty Langenscheidt Deutsch-Englisch/Englisch-Deutsch Wörterbuch, and, acquired much later from Breckwoldts in Kieta, my OLYMPIA portable typewriter was all I possessed for well over twenty years until I returned from Saudi Arabia and settled down, i.e. started to accumulate things.

Have pen, will travel was my motto then; Have too much, can't travel anymore may well be my motto now.