If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

What does Felemea look like?


 

Readers with Crusoe-esque aspirations who have seen my blog Gone troppo! have emailed me and asked what Felemea on Uiha Island is like. I have no idea! The closest I got to Felemea in my travels was when I stayed on Lifuka Island for just over a week back in 2006.

 

 

I did, however, find the above Youtube clip taken in August 2011 when an organisation calling itself Seacology visited Felemea Village for the opening ceremony of Felemea's revamped community center.

And, of course, there are plenty of truly enticing photographs of Uiha's beaches.

It's a beautiful part of the world but difficult to get to and even more difficult to spend some time in, especially if you are of a certain age when you have come to enjoy, and indeed rely on, the comforts of a Western lifestyle.

For my money, I keep booking myself into my favourite boutique hotel in Bali for a couple of weeks of undisturbed bliss. It has just four exquisitely appointed bungalows, aptly named CINNAMON, NUTMEG, CLOVE and GINGER (the Spice Islands are just east of Bali). I always stay in CINNAMON, so you have the choice of the other three. See you there!