If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Monday, February 4, 2013

Etch-A-Sketch is dead

 

I've just heard on the news that Andre Cassagnes, the French inventor of the Etch-A-Sketch, has died at the age of 86. Well, you have to admire this bloke. He made millions out of inventing something that didn't work very well and offered about ten minutes of fun before being consigned to the attic.

For the record, I would like it to be known that the cheap post-war German version I was acquainted with in my teenage years was no more than two postcard-sized pieces of cardboard clamped together at the edges which formed a cut-out frame for a coated surface on which to scribble. It was known as "Wunderblock" - how wunderbar! - and is described here.

I also would like it to be known that my anatomical knowledge at that time would never have enabled me to produce drawings like the one above.

Also, we had no attic.

 

The best antique is
an old friend.