If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Monday, May 26, 2014

We are a country of great winkers
(no spelling mistake intended)

 

Appearing on ABC Radio, Prime Minister Abbott winked at host Jon Faine when an angry pensioner told him she worked on an adult sex line to “make ends meet”. The wink seemed to have got him into even hotter water than the budget itself.

Quite apart from the doubts I have about the authenticity of the call which may well have been a stitch-up by the Labor Party, I wonder what has happened to our sense of humour.

Almost fifty years ago, I left a country of great (and some not-so-great) thinkers to come to this country of great winkers whose lanonic sense of humour I immediately found appealing. And what could be more laconic than a wordless wink when confronted with the idea of a pensioner working on a sex line?

Personally, I'd rather have Tony the Winker than all those wankers who broke out into a red-hot fury over it. Perhaps they should go and meet Gloria the sex worker grandma to cool down a bit (or a lot):

I think I've just saved you a phone call, haven't I? Wink wink nudge nudge say no more ☺