If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

The sameness continues

TRITON LODGE in Port Douglas

 

... and the thought of my friend Ian Paterson relocating to Port Douglas where he will take up residence in the Triton Lodge doesn't help. When I think back to those relatively short twenty years during which I relocated some fifty times across a dozen different countries, only to now be sitting here like a shag on a rock for the last twenty years. Twenty years! I would've got less for murder!

I am reading "A Very Brief History of Eternity" by Carlos Eire. Interesting, thought-provoking and sometimes unsettling. It's about eternity (as opposed to immortality) and it's all about philosophy and a bit of religion which, as he puts it, "... is all about finding more in life than meets the eye."

The writer, Carlos Eire, came to the USA from Cuba as a child as part of "Operation Peter Pan" which I had never heard of until I GOOGLEd for it. We learn something every day!

Well, it's almost 9 a.m. and the ennui (best said with a stuffy nose) continues. To paraphrase Kurtz in "Heart of Darkness", "The sameness! The sameness!"

 

At $180 a week, electricity included, TRITON LODGE, just a skip and a jump away from the famous Four Mile Beach, is probably the best value-for-money in town. I had first heard about it through another friend (another riches-to-rags story) who moved into it some years ago, and so I recommended it to Ian. The things I do to get myself a free bed for my next trip up North! ☺

 

... and here's Ian's message before he hit the road: "Mate, it's onwards and upwards - as explained I become restless with the sameness of life. Port Douglas probably will be little different to Coolangatta, however will be meeting different people and experiencing interesting places to explore. That might take six to eighteen months to wear off, and then hooroo again. Australia is a big country! Have a feeling Darwin will be next."