If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Thursday, January 6, 2022

Lulu on the bridge

 

Reading was my escape and my comfort, my consolation, my stimulant of choice: reading for the pure pleasure of it, for the beautiful stillness that surrounds you when you hear an author's words reverberating in your head."

This is a quote by Paul Auster, and how I can relate to it! And here's another one: "When a person is lucky enough to live inside a story, to live inside an imaginary world, the pains of this world disappear. For as long as the story goes on, reality no longer exists." And this one really hit the mark: "It seems to me that I will always be happy in the place where I am not."

I'm a fan of Paul Auster's writing, with his depiction of daily and ordinary life, coincidences, and frequent portrayal of an ascetic life. He also wrote the screenplay for "Smoke" and "Blue in the Face", both of which I have on DVD. And I've just found another one, "Lulu on the Bridge".

The film is about a jazz saxophone player whose life is transformed after being shot. After discovering a mysterious stone, he meets and falls in love with a beautiful aspiring actress, but their happiness is cut short by a series of strange, dreamlike events. Classic Paul Auster!


Googlemap Riverbend