If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Monday, September 26, 2022

Wake in Fright

 

 

My travelling days are over, but back in 2011 I had booked myself onto the Sunlander's premium all-inclusive Queenslander Class from Brisbane to Cairns, enjoying first class Twin Sleeper accommodation, fine dining in the Restaurant Car, a Lounge and Bar, and a host of other extras.

To get to Brisbane, I took the overnight XPT from Sydney. At first it looked like I would have my twinette sleeper compartment all to myself but at Strathfield a companion joined me: Ian, a retired school teacher from St. Ives, who had spent half a lifetime in tiny schools out west, including Walgett. He was good company and we talked until late into the night about the woes of the world. I wanted to ask him if he had seen a certain Aussie movie which starred a young schoolteacher who had been posted to the fictious town of Tiboonda way, way out west.

 

Ian, the retired school teacher

 

He knew it but neither of us could remember its name. Well, not until three o'clock in the morning when I was awoken by a tap-tap-tap on my arm. Opening my eyes, I saw Ian's face looking down from the top bunk.

"Wake in Fright", he said.

Yes, of course! Wake in fright indeed!


Googlemap Riverbend

 

P.S. The book is just as gripping as the movie; read it here.