If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Umbrella's only what?

 

As a paid-up member of the Apostrophe Protection Society, Im alway's on the look-out for abuse'd apostrophe's, so when I spotted this receptacle for umbrella's at my local swimming pool today, I couldnt resist the question, "Umbrella's only what?"

There was no reply and I drowned my disappointment in the pool, after which I trawled my favourite op-shop for some interesting books.

I found Google Speaks - Secrets of the World's Greated Billionaire Entrepreneurs, Sergey Brin and Larry Page by Janet Lowe and The End of Iraq - How American Incompetence created a War without End, published in 2006 but still relevant if you simply swap Iraq for Syria.

The End of Iraq presents the definitive account of a failed American policy initiative that
has resulted in the disintegration of that country and a more dangerous Middle East

I also found four good DVDs: Catch-22 (who hasn't read Joseph Heller's book?), The Man with the Golden Arm (with Frank Sinatra playing a heroin addict), 23 Paces to Baker Street (a Hitchcockian mystery thriller), and Richard Dawkins' documentary The Root of All Evil?

This documentary should be required viewing for everybody. Religion, ANY religion, has a lot to answer for. As the physicist Steven Weinberg wrote, “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”