If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Tuesday, November 30, 2021

The two Morleys

This is Robert Morley

 

Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to continually be part of unanimity."

I recently discovered this quotation by Christopher Morley, and I thought to myself, "That's pretty deep and meaningful, coming from someone with an ungainly bulk, bushy eyebrows, thick lips and a double chin."

Then I realised that I had been thinking of the British actor Robert Morley, famous for his roles in so many movies as a pompous English gentleman representing the Establishment, whereas this Morley was Christopher Morley, an American author of countless novels and essays.

I rushed to www.archive.org where I found enough books by Christopher Morley to "read, every day, something no one else is reading" (it seems, after his death in 1957, two New York newspapers published as last message to his friends this very quotation: "Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to continually be part of unanimity.")

Thanks to www.archive.org, I'm now able to read his books online and, if I really enjoy them, I may even order some of them on ebay because to me at least, books aren't just for reading but also to have and to hold.

And here's my message to you, although not my last as I'm not dead yet: support the good work of www.archive.org with a small donation as I regularly do. Do it as "something no else would be silly enough to do."

 

 

To donate, click here.


Googlemap Riverbend