If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Reading in bed

Read the book online (before buying a hardcopy so you can read it in bed), click here

 

Put it down to old age but the one thing I do in bed less and less is sleep (if you thought of something else, you're way ahead of me except in age). Instead, I listen to ABC Radio National, especially my daily nightcap of Late Night Live, or, if my eyes aren't too tired out yet, I read a good book.

Last night I began to read about humanity's greatest solitary diversion by picking up "Reading in Bed", a collection of twenty-two essays that span five centuries. It’s too meaty a work to breeze through in one evening, and so I picked Hermann Hesse's essay "The Magic of the Book" first:

 

Click on pages to enlarge

 

The other twenty-one essays will last me for the next three weeks.


Googlemap Riverbend