If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Monday, April 24, 2023

My adopted tongue

You can read the book online at www.archive.org

 

For a long time, there were two ways to become an Australian citizen. The first, the trickier but paradoxically much the more common method, was to find your way into an Australian womb and wait for nine months.

The other way was to get an assisted passage out by signing an undertaking to stay for at least two years ...

... and then wait for five years ...

... or having it reduced to three by sitting for a dictation test ...

... after which you swore an oath of allegiance.

All this happened at the other end of my life, when I was still quite young, nineteen going on twenty. Having become an Australian the other way, English was never my mother tongue but it became my adopted tongue. As I read Bill Bryson's book, I'm surprised it happened at all.


Googlemap Riverbend