If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Sunday, January 21, 2024

Bending over backwards for his Airbnb guests


A video clip of 'Made Tanou' at the nearby hot springs, locally known as 'Air Panas Banjar'

 

The whole world meets at Ibu Kade's warung which is where we met 'Made Tanou' (not his real name but an honorific given to him by the Balinese), a charming 24-year old Austrian 'Taugenichts' who seemed to live on a dollar a day - or less.

 

Made Tanou, compleat with unicycle sticking out of his backpack, leaving the temple

 

That was in 2011 when we (again) stayed at Banjar Hills and 'Made Tanou' slept in the nearby Brahma Vihara Arama Buddhist Temple's dormitory (no set price but a donation is appreciated), where he picked his own vegetables from the surrounding fields and had them cooked by Ibu Kade for a nominal charge. In this manner he had lived and travelled through Burma and India, and was already in his second month in Bali.

 


Keep it up, Made Tanou! As Mark Twain wrote, "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did."

 

That was more than twelve years ago! This morning I received a rare email from this yoga guru and also self-confessed "Lebenskünstler":

"I'm glad seeing you document and blog about your journeys. It makes me go into memory lane and want to connect some dots in my life and journeys that propelled me forward.

I have only been able to come back to my treehouse last October and November after having been barred from the country since I didn't adhere to 'health measures' that turned out to be lies. But the house is standing and I was able to finish a lot of repairs and renovations. As you can imagine a crazy task in Indonesia that had me kick out workers several times and do the roof myself :)

To see some pictures of my Airbnb in Bali, click here.

I'm back in Austria for the winter snowboarding and planning my next sailing weeks. I have become a yachtmaster instructor! :)

Sending blessings to both of you
Tanou"

 

 

Who would have thought: Made Tanou the Airbnb Host! Well done! Your ability to bend over backwards should come in handy with your guests!

Should you ever come to Australia (always assuming they didn't ban you from this country as well :-), you're more than welcome at "Riverbend".


Googlemap Riverbend