I had done most of the burning-off before my fire permit was suspended because of high tenperatures and extreme fire anger, so we went for a drive to Moruya instead to visit the local market.
By the time we got there, the day had already turned into something of a scorcher, and yet the market was full with hundreds of people and scores of dogs on the lead and in the lead. With already much of the formerly grassed market covered in hot concrete and bitumen, some dog owner had fitted out their canine companions with 'shoes' of the kind that when you ask for a 'pair', they sell you four. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a photo of some of their more fashionable paw-wear.
One stall sold old cameras and I could relate to all of them, as I too had owned a Kodak Brownie that took 2+1⁄4-inch square pictures, and later also a folding bellows camera together with handheld lightmeter. And what about those vintage flashbulbs? I must've used hundreds of them.
Taking a joy flight with South Coast Seaplanes seemed tempting, too. I had done some pretty hairy flying in New Guinea and being cooped up in a tiny plane didn't worry me until I saw the very young pilot and the very high price. Anyway, it was already close to lunchtime and, since they didn't serve food on board, we drove to the Moruya Bowling Club.
I remember having heard about Sam McLennan who had built a raft entirely of marine rubbish which he hoped to sail from Tasmania to Sydney to raise awareness of ocean pollution. And here it was, tied up beside the market on the Moruya River. It takes all sorts, doesn't it?
I leave you with a YouTube recording of a DVD I picked up at the local op-shop, "Ten Pound Poms - The Story of Invisible British Migration to Australia ...", which reminds me of my own adventure more than sixty years ago, except that I paid fifty pounds because I wasn't British. And I never whinged because I never regretted having come to this wonderful country. I mean, where else could I have had such a beautiful weekend?
Avagoodweegend -and don't forget the Aeroguard!


