If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Friday, September 4, 2026

The Odd Couple

 

 

Lat month, a neighbour and I visited the Killer Whale Museum. On the way, we called in at the Robyn's Nest Lakeside Resort at Merimbula, which a friend bought several years ago at great expense and keeps going at even greater expense.

 

The above video clip is from the sales pitch when the place was for sale in 2023. For a more recent video, click here.

 

It has everything: a waterfront as far as the eye can see, a fancy restaurant, a swimming pool, a tennis court, and a beautiful guest lounge with a huge fireplace. "But where are the books?" I cried out, visualising myself sitting by the blazing fire with a book in my hand.

My friend thought it an excellent idea to add a small reading library to the guest lounge, and sort of commissioned me to be on the look-out for some suitable books. What a great excuse to go book-hunting again without incurring Padma's displeasure, who's been telling me for years that we are running out of shelf space, which I already did several times, and which I always solved by adding another library room.

I have already accumulated quite a stack of suitable books for my friend's guest lounge, although I admit that the ratio of books I pick up for myself and of books I source for my friend's library is about 3-to-1.

 

 

Of the recently bought books I picked up for myself is Allan Behm's "The Odd Couple", which I read in one afternoon on the sunlit verandah. It's full of provocative ideas which everyone of our politicians should read.

 


Googlemap Riverbend