If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Thursday, September 24, 2026

TAIM BILONG "Melbourne"

 

 

Some weeks ago, I bought this tiny "Mini Portable LCD Digital FM Radio Speaker USB SD TF Card Mp3 Speaker Player" (to give it its full name), only to find that it wouldn't play at all, not even after I had it plugged into the charger for a whole night.

I was about to give up and send the ebay seller a stiff note, when she-who-must-be-obeyed opened the battery cover and discovered that the battery was still inside its protective sleeve and thus not connected.

I know I will hear about this for the next twenty-five years (after having survived the first twenty-five years without too much visable damage), but in the meantime I make good use of it inside far-away "Melbourne".

This afternoon I treated myself to the full twenty-four episodes of "TAIM BILONG MASTA" while lazily declining on the bed and gazing up at old photographs of Camp 6 on Bougainville Island in Papua New Guinea.

 

Top: "Millionaires Row" in Camp 6 facing Loloho Beach
Bottom: A peaceful Sunday morning on Loloho Beach

 

<

Episode 1 Never a Colony

Episode 2 The Good Time Before

Episode 3 God's Shadow on Earth

Episode 4 The Loneliness and the Glory

Episode 5 On Patrol

Episode 6 Sailo

Episode 7 The Boat Came Every Six Weeks

Episode 8 Masta Me Like Work

Episode 9 The Violent Land

Episode 10 Moneymakers and Misfits

Episode 11 Wife and Missus

Episode 12 Growing Up

Episode 13 Into The Highlands

Episode 14 The Promised Land

Episode 15 First Contact

Episode 16 Gold

Episode 17 The Good News

Episode 18 The Mission Rush

Episode 19 You Had To Be Firm

Episode 20 Across the Barriers

Episode 21 Courts and Calaboose

Episode 22 War

Episode 23 A Reason For Being There

Episode 24 Going Finish

 

The book is freely accessible from the ANU Open Research Library - click here

 

I had found "TAIM BILONG MASTA", then recorded on twenty-four cassettes, in 1983 in the ABC Shop in Adelaide's Rundle Mall during one of my frequent business trips from Saudi Arabia back to Australia. For years, I listened to them again and again as, in the absence of any proper television or radio reception in the world's largest sandbox, they had become my daily nightcap to drown out the howling desert winds.

 

 

Over the years, the cassettes had become, like myself, warped and worn, and I was delighted to rediscover them on a single USB stick, to once again drown out the outside noise, this time not howling desert winds but screening parrots and the raucous laughter of kookaburras.

Feel free to copy my mp3 files onto your own USB stick to play on your own Mini Portable LCD Digital FM Radio Speaker USB SD TF Card Mp3 Speaker Player. At just $16.15, postage paid, it's a bargain - just don't forget to remove the protective sleeve from its rechargeable battery!

 


Googlemap Riverbend