If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Thursday, October 1, 2026

Between You & Me

 

Waiting for my lunch at the Moruya Bowling Club. "No rush! I have plenty to read!"

 

My fondest hope is that just from looking at the title you will learn to say fearlessly "between you and me" (not "I"), whether or not you actually read this book and penetrated to the innards of the objective case.

I had been meaning to buy it for some time, and there it was, almost staring at me from the bookshelf at Vinnies, priced at just two dollars, which allowed me to also buy "The Naked Heart - The Bourgeois Experience, Victoria to Freud", "Under the Volcano - The Story of Bali", Adam Spencer's "World of Numbers" (of course; I am an accountant, after all), and "And Their Ghosts May Be Heard ..." which is about castaways that arrived on Australia's shores before the First Fleet.

And while I was stocking up on Australiana, I also picked up the DVDs "Kakadu - Where Man Meets Wild and Nature Calls the Shots" ...

 

 

... and "Kokoda", where you can smell the blood, sweat and terror, and feel the wet, oppressive heat and empathise with the bone-deep exhaustion. I had half-walked and half-stumbled it but that was in peacetime in 1974 when I worked as internal auditor for AIR NIUGINI in Port Moresby in New guinea. I was fifty years younger then than I am today, and still stupid enough to push my body beyond its limits.

 

 

These days, an armchair and a quiet weekend is all I want to watch the DVDs and read the newly-acquired books. I think I start with "Between You & Me". And, between you and me, so can you by clicking here.

 


Googlemap Riverbend