If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Beware of sharebrokers bearing gifts

It was the day before Christmas when a courier van drove into "Riverbend" to deliver a kind of squarish-but-longish-shaped box. This did not look like a package containing those obligatory boxer shorts I keep getting as presents these days, so my curiosity was piqued (nothing arouses me any more these days; it's 'piqued' at best!) as I tore off the wrappings. Inside a plush-lined sarcophagus-shaped rosewood box was a bottle of Chalk Hill Blue 2008 Shiraz Cabernet, accompanied by a card wishing me, "A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year - from your sharebrokers at Commonwealth Securities". Are they charging me too much brokerage or am I trading too much?