If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Driven to excess

 

At last! Several phone calls and several emails over several weeks later, I finally have a definitive answer to my year-old question on the possible risk of under-insurance and the more recent one about falling trees:

 

Re: NRMA Insurance Home Insurance << Reference ID: 3311635 >>

Dear Mr Goerman,

Thank you for your recent email in relation to home insurance. We confirm your last email contained a link to a flood risk website. Regarding the average clause, we confirm we will cover you for the sum insured that you nominate and do not have a clause to average the building cost out in the event you are under insured. We confirm we cover any damages to your home from impact from trees including your neighbours tree. The exclusions are:

We do not cover loss or damage caused by tree cutting, lopping or felling on the site, including costs to:

•remove the stump, or
•cut down or remove a tree if it didn’t cause any damage to your home or contents.

Should you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely
Raphael
Digital Customer Support
NRMA Insurance, SGIO & SGIC
are members of Insurance Australia Group (IAG)

 

Thank you, Raphael! Never mind that I had actually inquired about my trees falling on the neigbours' house and not theirs falling on mine. I leave that little careless reading of my email to next year's insurance renewal.

This has been a very frustrating experience and I hate to think how much more frustrating it would have been, had I lodged a real claim with them instead of a simple inquiry.

Not that I have ever claimed anything or ever will (unless there is a total loss) because this year I have increased all my excesses to $5,000 for each claim. This has reduced the premiums to less than half and saved me well over $500. Had I done this twenty years ago, I would by now have saved myself twice the excess already.