If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Press play and listen

 

I found this compact disc in my favourite op-shop. It immediately took me back to 1985, my very own annus horribilis when, having just returned from a glamourous expatriate life, I was confronted by the ordinariness of life and work in Australia.

Somebody suggested I should listen to some de-stressing meditation tapes which became a distressing experience in itself because all of a sudden I found myself surrounded by a whole bunch of distressed people who also listened to these tapes.

Cassette tapes are a thing of the past now and so is my need for de-stressing meditation tapes as I have become used to ordinariness; indeed, I have become quite ordinary myself. I mean, if you can't beat them, join them. And at just one dollar, you can't beat this ABC meditation CD.

I can always put it inside the cottage for guests who need more than the slow-moving river and Riverbend's peace and quiet to calm down. However, I thought I first try it out myself and did as instructed on the cover: "... sit comfortably, press play and listen".

I pressed play and listened. And listened. And listened. There was no sound. Just blissful silence. How clever, I thought, this really works. Then I realised I had not turned on the speakers.