If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Thursday, February 9, 2023

Thanks for pointing it out to me, Roy!

 

It's been bucketing down all night and most of this morning, but then the sun came out and so did I, to put the finishing touches on my rebuilt treehouse. Remember Henry Ford and his famous "any colour ... so long as it is black"? Well, make mine Mission Brown!

(Should that be "bucketing" or "bucketting"? You know, that rule about doubling the final consonant before adding an "-ing" to form a gerund?)

Back to my treehouse - or tree platform, as an old mate from my New Guinea days pointed out, who is a retired engineer and as obsessed about the precise word as I am about its precise spelling: the tree - ehem! - platform is ready to enjoy a glass of wine in the evening sun!

Thanks for pointing out the difference to me, Roy! A copy of Simon Winchester's best-selling book "EXACTLY - How Precision Engineers Created the Modern World" is in the mail to you! Should I send it to your high-rise in Kuala Lumpur or to your not-quite-so-high-rise in Penang?

View from Roy's "treehouse" in Kuala Lumpur

 

I don't know about you, but ten feet above the river is enough for me!


Googlemap Riverbend