If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Friday, March 17, 2023

St Patrick's Day

 

Watching "Patrick's Day" is as close as we get to St Patrick's Day at "Riverbend". Patrick is a 26-year-old schizophrenic young man, who goes missing in the middle of the St Patrick's Day festivities in Dublin.

I'm in two minds about this being an Irish version of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest", but it's perhaps a fitting movie to watch on St Patrick's Day. And, as they say these days on the ABC, "If you or someone you know is in crisis and needs help now, call Lifeline on 13 11 14" (they already known about me, so simply tell them I sent you!)

Apropos of nothing, I just realise that for quite a while now I haven't heard anyone use that annoying upward inflection, the habit of making every statement sound like a question, most prevalent amongst younger speakers. Instead, a new trend has emerged whereby even mature and otherwise eloquent speakers start their sentences with the conjunction "so" these days. Combining the two, I can almost hear you ask, "So?"

So? ... go and find yourself an Irish pub and celebrate St Patrick's Day. I can't. I'm stuck here at "Riverbend". All I can do is go green with envy.


Googlemap Riverbend