If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Friday, May 5, 2023

My favourite travel writer

 

Perhaps I ought to rephrase the heading to read "One of my favourite travel writers" because Bill Bryson is also one of my favourite travel writers but Paul Theroux is something else again: an absolute dazzler, giving us the highs and lows of his journeys with tenderness and acerbic humour.

I am still searching for his book "Deep South" which was, I thought, the only book by Paul Theroux I hadn't read yet - until I found today in Moruya's Vinnies a copy of "Ghost Train to the Eastern Star". What a find!

 

Read it online at www.archive.org

 

This, together with making Padma a cup of tea and grass-cutting and painting my new RIVERBEND sign, will be my activities for this weekend!


Googlemap Riverbend

 

P.S. Paul Theroux also wrote the novel "Saint Jack", which was made into a wonderful movie depicting the Singapore of old, and which, thankfully, is available on YouTube in full length - click here.